dot files

Stephen Riehm [Romulis] s887212 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
Fri Nov 16 13:26:51 AEST 1990

were does one find descriptions for '.' files?

I have long known of the existence of 'dot' files, ie .cshrc .login etc
however I have NEVER come across any documentation on how to use these or
any mention of what dot files are available to do what.
So far these are the dot files that I know of... most I picked up by word
of mouth and the .exrc .cshrc .newsrc .login and .logout are the only ones
I really understand.
.cshrc        .exrc         .hushlogin       .login       .logout
.mailrc       .newsrc       .rhosts          .twmrc

I have heard of many more.. .profile comes to mind but I don't know what
should go in them etc etc.
Is there a complete list of "common" user definable dot files available..

failing this if anyone knows of the name and format of a file to Ignore
mail from a user I would be very grateful.

thanx in advance
Romulis [Stephen Riehm]	            Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
					       (124 Latrobe St., Melbourne.)
s887212 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au					  Australia.

ELM, X, VI, UNIX : these things make life bearable. NN: makes life LIVABLE!