Perkin-Elmer OS-32 and tape programs

Brain in Neutral bin at primate.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 29 02:53:13 AEST 1990

I need to write a tape for a person in Thailand that has some
sort of Perkin-Elmer machine running OS-32 (?).  This person
tells me this is a kind of UNIX.  However, discussion with him
leads me to the conclusion he doesn't know too much about his
system beyond that.  I asked him if he had "tar".  "No."  How
about "cpio"?  "No."  How about "mt"?  "No."

Hmm, thought I, this could be a problem.  Well, "do you have sh"?
"No."  That's my clue that he's not very conversant with his
system.

Of course, neither am I, so my question is:  what tape-reading
facilities should this system have, and what kind of tape can I
write so that I can safely assume he'll be able to extract it?  I
know he's got a 9-track drive.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois at primate.wisc.edu

       "If you're not a docter, you're just pants" -- Ian D., age 3 1/2