IBM tape label format

Pat Myrto pat at rwing.UUCP
Tue Nov 13 10:22:56 AEST 1990

I am in need of some help.  I have to write some tapes in an IBM
EBCDIC format, with IBM type labels before and after the data.  I have
specs on the format of the data records I have to write, but I cannot
find ANY form of information on the structure/layout of that little 80
byte or so record that is supposed to PRECEDE the data portion and the
trailer record that FOLLOWS the data.  All I know is that they are
separated from the data itself by EOF marks, and the whole thing is to
be encoded in EBCDIC.

The conversion from ASCII to EBCDIC, writing the required tape marks,
etc are no problem - I just don't know the structure and proper
contents of that header and trailer record.  Does anybody out there
have that sort of information?

As this is of limited interest, e-mail is probably the best means of
reply, if there is any interest, I can summerize.

Thanks for any help offered!
--
pat at rwing                                       (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                            ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat