HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Tony Wallis tony at nexus.yorku.ca
Sat Nov 10 02:35:45 AEST 1990

Steve York, perhaps naively, asks :
|  I just got into unix and need someone to tell me how to use it if
|  anyone would take the time I'd be grateful.
Richard van de Stadt, perhaps intending to be helpful, replies:
|  RTFM - Read The Fucking Manuals

That parallels my sex education.
At a tender impressionable age when a little "hand-holding" would have
been of immense value, I was reduced to reading the (excuse the pun)
fucking manuals in the library.  As a result, I knew all the plumbing
details about sex (pipes, sockets, etc.), but next to nothing about what
really matters at that age.

The Unix neophyte does not need RTFM.  They need an introduction to
the spirit/feel/philosophy/callitwhatyouwill.  And the best place to
get that is from someone who does Unix and is willing to give the time.

... tony at nexus.yorku.ca = Tony Wallis, York University, Toronto, Canada