How do you unarchive with TAR?

Thomas J. Snively TJS111 at psuvm.psu.edu
Sat Nov 17 01:34:55 AEST 1990

Recently, I've been getting in to getting cool things for free off the
netnews by downloading things and such.  I've had mild success, but I'm
stuck on this tar thing.

Ok, suppose I have a file, foo.foo.tar, ok?  The directions that the
poster says is "Tar this into your favorite directory...."
I can't unarchive anything.  I've read the manual on it several times,
and can't understand it.
If I'm in my home directory, and want to unarchive that whole thing into,
say, /stuff, what do I do?

Please send e-mail.  Thank you very much.

-Tom