HELP ME PLEASE!!!

David Elliott dce at smsc.sony.com
Sun Nov 11 11:31:27 AEST 1990

In article <12128:Nov1017:48:5690 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>In article <1990Nov10.162446.20443 at smsc.sony.com> dce at smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>> On the other hand, the they really want
>> to dig in and become a competent Unix user/programmer or a systems
>> developer, there's no substitute for sitting down and reading the
>> manuals from cover to cover.
>
>I disagree. Reading the man pages is like reading a book on how a bike
>works. You'll never learn to ride a bike if you don't get out there and
>start practicing!

You're absolutely right.

I didn't mean that just reading the manual was a subsitute for
programming.  I meant that it was a substitute for having someone hold
your hand to learn Unix.  In fact, I feel that reading the manual is
superior to hand-holding for the beginner because it piques one's
curiosity.  There's nothing like finding out that there's a command
like "comm" or "rev" to make someone think.

Of course, it's nice to have experts around when you are getting into
the tough parts.  I was lucky to have experts like Steve Glaser, Andy
Crump, and Brad Needham around to get me through that middle period.