How to Deal with Obscure Problems on UNIX

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Thu Nov 15 06:28:09 AEST 1990

In article <7220:Nov1408:26:4390 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>I make sure that all error messages in my programs are documented. This
>doesn't help much for getting around really weird errors, but for them I
>provide an address to write to for help. I can't convince Berkeley that
>it'd be nice if foo -A always showed the author of foo, but hopefully
>they'll see the light at some point.

Hmm.  If `vi -A' told you that vi was written by Ken Thompson, Brian
Kernighan, Bill Joy, Mark Horton, Jim Bloom, Keith Bostic, Mike Karels,
Ralph <lastnameforgotten>, Conrad Huang, Kirk McKusick, Sam Leffler,
Bill Jolitz, Peter <someone>, and a few others, who would you ask about
`Internal error: vclreol'?
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris