HELP ME PLEASE!!!

rbarrell rbarrell at rdb1.UUCP
Mon Nov 12 23:28:04 AEST 1990

In article <47290 at bsu-ucs.uucp>, 00smyork at bsu-ucs.uucp (SOME PEOPLE SNIFF GLUE OTHERS SNIFF TAPE) writes:
> I just got into unix and need someone to tell me how to use it if anyone would
> take the time I'd be grateful.

Steve,
     As has been mentioned, the best way to learn unix is to start using it.
Toward this end, I have a few suggestions of possible reading/reference
materials which have been of tremendous help to me, even when I just started
unix/xenix five years ago.
     The first is a set of reference cards from Micro Logic (PO Box 174,
Hackensack, NJ   07602): one for "Unix Shell" and the other for "C Language".
The cards are very well organized and present an amazing wealth of information
within an 8.5" X 11" page.  Also, they are made of plastic, so they don't get
worn out by the end of the first few days of use.  They're only about $6 each.
     The next which, by the title, may sound surprising is the book _Tricks of
the Unix Masters_ by Russell G. Sage, which is published by Sams.  Even though
the title SOUNDS complicated, and even though some of the scripts in it are not
the simplest in the world, all of the material provides excellent examples from
which to learn.
     A third reference would be _The Guru_, a new magazine ("Monthly Training
Journal") by the Valar Group.  While it only started last month, it seemed to
provide very good information, and presents the material in levels called
Apprentice, Journeyman, Master, and Wizard.  If you can make it past the $96/yr
subscription cost, it is very worthwhile.
     Finally, while I have never used any of them myself, I always hear great
words of praise of the O'Reilly Associates' "Nutshell" handbooks.  These cover
many topics, each in a separate book.

--
Robert Barrell      |     rbarrell at rdb1.UUCP      | Phillips Consulting Group
Milo's Meadow BBS   | uunet!pcgbase!rdb1!rbarrell | 282 North Shore Drive