How do you unarchive with TAR?

Stephen Riehm [Romulis] s887212 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
Sun Nov 18 14:18:36 AEST 1990

gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

>	To un-tar a file, type "tar -xvf <filename>".

very dangerous practice!!! considering that the tar was created by someone
else on a different machine.. it should be mandatory to use -o (ownership)
flag. I learnt this the hard way some time back when I untarred a directory
without -o and the creator only had permission set to himself, hence I
couldnt touch the files at all.. couldnt even remove the evidence :-)
SYSOPs can be wonderfull people at times :-)

therefor I recommend:
tar -xfvo <filename>

Romulis [Stephen Riehm]	            Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
					       (124 Latrobe St., Melbourne.)
s887212 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au					   Australia.

@>---`--,--( Still Stuck on the wrong side of the deep pink sea )--.--'---<@