mv'ing files from a C program

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 16 06:27:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov15.183359.963 at ssd.kodak.com> weimer at ssd.kodak.com (Gary Weimer) writes:
>In article <1990Nov15.132952.11932 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>You don't have to use system(3), you can use fork/execl(2) (or one of it's
>>family of functions) as follows:
>>
>>	if( fork() == 0 )
>>		execl("/bin/mv","mv",oldfile,newfile,(char *)0);
>>	else
>>		wait((int *)0);
>
>That's just about exactly what system(3) does. (i.e. you gain nothing for
>all the added code)

Both seem kind of expensive.  What's wrong with rename....  (man 2 rename).
Since I jumped into the middle of this, I presume you're talking about
the same file system, which is a limitation on rename.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

I don't watch Twin Peaks; I just come to work.