Less Optimized Curses

Donald Yuniskis akcs.dgy at vpnet.chi.il.us
Thu Nov 22 01:55:02 AEST 1990

>In my former company we dealt with Aspen Scientific.  Unfortunately I
>don't have their phone number handy, nor their whereabouts, but most

 Wheatridge, CO (303) 423-8088

>Basically their curses, based on curses from SVR3.2 (with color) is
>99.9% if not 100% compatible with AT&T curses.  It runs on everything
>from DOS, UNIX, and VMS.  It makes porting curses-based applications
>much easier!

Yes and no... Best bet is to buy the sources.  The PC version is probably
the most up-to-date.  It'll take a while for you to sort out all the
conditional compilation info... There are quite a few bugs in the version
I have (5.0 or 5.1) tho' they're pretty helpful (call from a touchtone
phone since their voicemail system -- if its in use -- doesn't give you
any hooks to leave a message if you can't tone signal!)

>They offer some curses-products as well, something called "Formation" which
>handled FORMS and other PC-like windowing (pull down windows, icons,
>dialog boxes, etc...)

This is _definitely_ worth getting even if you're already running someone
(ATT) else's "real" curses.  Again, buy the source as you may wish to
modify the behaviour of the keyboard in dialog boxes, etc.

>I'd recommend it -- I have no connection with Aspen at all, just call me a
>satisfied developer.

Ditto...