Math Coprocessors

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM
Wed Nov 21 01:46:59 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov15.184607.21575 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <126 at mq.com> alan at mq.com (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>=The SCO XENIX 386 O/S definitely makes use of the FPU if it is available
>=(according to SCO).
>
>	Do they say in what way the OS uses it?

[deleted]

There has been a great deal of confusion about this.  To put it
as clearly as possible:  the SCO XENIX *kernel* and the SCO UNIX
*kernel* do NOT use floating-point calculations.  Since they don't
use floating-point calculations, they don't use the FPU, even if
one is present.

What the SCO kernels do provide is a means by which application
programs can use the FPU if one is present.  The access to the FPU
is transparent to the application: applications always "see" an FPU
present, and always use the FPU instructions.  It is the kernel's
job to hand off the FP instructions to the co-processor chip (if one
is present) or to emulate the FP instruction (if there is no FPU
present or if the kernel was instructed to ignore the FPU via the
'ignorefpu' boot string directive).

In summary:
    If an application uses floating-point instructions and an FPU
    is present, then the kernel will make sure the application
    uses the FPU.

    If an application uses floating-point instructions and an FPU
    is not present, then the kernel will emulate the FPU on behalf
    of the application.

    In no case does the kernel itself use floating-point instructions
    or the FPU.

I hope this clarifies things for people.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz at sco.COM
We only know in theory what we are doing.   - Kate Bush
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.