Rich $alz is still alive ??!!!??!!

Brad Templeton brad at looking.on.ca
Wed Nov 28 13:00:40 AEST 1990

People may pound on Rich, but perhaps he is the symptom and not the
problem.

USENET is now a few times larger than when most of us moderators signed on.
Rich is out of time.  Brandon has quit.  People give Eliot no end of trouble.
People used to give me a lot more than no end of trouble, until I learned just
to ignore them.

Source and binary group moderating is probably one of the toughest jobs.
The postings are large and complex and take time to look at.  You have to
deal with duplicates and similar programs, the risk of virus and a pile of
other stuff.

When it comes to source and binary moderating, it may be the case that you
start to get what you pay for.  The people doing it should get some
compensation.  I know Rich is against this, but sometimes I think it may be
the only way.   If there are 30,000 readers for a source group, then a
pittance of few dollars/year would hire a good moderator.  I doubt it will
happen, though.