Answer on sockets; Question on screen under SunOS 4.[01]

Jeremy Primer primer at math.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 13 14:43:54 AEST 1990

In article <see References line!> papp at remus.rutgers.edu (papp) writes:

   If anyone out in net-land has a piece of fairly simple
   and straightforward C code that creates the sockets and passes
   information back and forth, I would greatly appreciate a look-see.

An elegantly written and useful piece of code which uses sockets is
screen 2.0 by Oliver Laumann, which implements a detachable window
system for a dumb terminal (and gives the virtual screens ANSI
compatibility).  This uses sockets.  It is not overly simple (to me),
but it is clearly written.  It is available for anonymous ftp
from isy.liu.se (and perhaps other places).

I have a related question which is really about SunOS: I have been
running screen 2.0 for several months, previously under SunOS 4.0 and now
under SunOS 4.1.  Previously, when one suspended the primary program
in a window, it would automatically restart, which was fine.  Now,
under 4.1, any suspended program simply dies.  For example, type
"screen emacs" followed by C-z, and find that the one window has
closed, allowing screen to terminate.  Emacs has also terminated, and
is not suspended somewhere.  What has changed?
--
Jeremy Primer, Department of Mathematics, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge MA 02138
primer at math.harvard.edu   ...!harvard!zariski!primer    primer at zariski.bitnet