MACH kernel - source become pd?

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Tue Oct 16 08:14:45 AEST 1990

In article <450 at dill.UUCP> tilley at ukfca1 (Jonathan Tilley) writes:
>... said that once the MACH kernel was completely free of ATT stuff and
>was stable, it was going to be available free. I know that the kernel is now
>stable - NeXT has it as their operating system, so does anyone know if or
>when MACH will become free?

Note that there is an "and" in the first statement.  Mach may be "stable"
in some sense of the word -- CMU probably wouldn't agree -- but it is by
no means de-AT&Tized yet.

And incidentally, even when the kernel is free and clear, there are still
just a few :-) utility programs that need work too.  The kernel (even using
"kernel" in the normal Unix sense) isn't a lot of good by itself.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry