Maintenence-free UNIX?

Art Gentry gentry at kcdev.UUCP
Thu Oct 11 05:45:36 AEST 1990

>In article <90282.125053RMG3 at psuvm.psu.edu> RMG3 at psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>
>  The question is - 'Is maintenence-free UNIX an oxymoron?'
>  I have a very serious reason for asking the question, humorous
>though it may seem at first glance.

That is a very reasonable question, with a very unreasonable answer.  It's
damn tough, if not impossible to make unix totally maintenance free.  That's
why my company offers a service that make a unix system maintenance free,
as far as the users are concerned.  We do remote system admin/mgmt.  For
a set fee per month (depends on the size of the installation), we take
care of all the mundane (and not so mundane) tasks in keeping a unix box
well fed and happy.  That way all the users have to worry about is running
thier applications.  There are just too many things that still need a
human interface to be able to totally automate it.
---
| R. Arthur Gentry  Gentry and Associates  Excelsior Springs,  MO  64024 |
| Email: gentry at genco.uucp          ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |
| The UNIX BBS: 816-221-0475        The Bedroom BBS: 816-637-4183        |
| $include {std_disclaimer.h}       "I will make a guess" - Spock - STIV |