edit first line of long file

Boyd Roberts boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz
Fri Oct 26 10:02:25 AEST 1990

In article <10201:Oct2404:23:3890 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>Huh? *Nothing* is going to run more quickly than cat, and programs that
>do any sort of processing are guaranteed to run more slowly. How about
>timing these things for yourself?

Don't be stupid.  It depends how cat is implemented.  I remember being
horrified to find that one verison of cat used stdio fread/fwrite. And
they were implemented as _two_ nested loops with a getc/putc in the
middle.  Was that _slow_ or what?

Gotta watch out for those `universal affirmitives' :-)

Boyd Roberts			boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''