Vnode ops in VFS layer of Kernel (esp. SUN)

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Tue Oct 9 01:23:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct07.121740.15280 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
=In article <1990Oct6.200834.539 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>	What are "vnodes"???
=
=In a nutshell...
=
=Vnodes are very similar to the System V file system switch.  They provide
=a layering between the generic file system activities and the file system
=specific activities so that you will not have to change any code in the
=generic layer when you want to add a new file system type.
=
=This is a part of the system that you will never have to deal with unless
=you are adding support for new file systems to the kernel.

Thanks, Conner.  I guess I had better ask the rest of the questions.  :-)

What is the SV file system switch?  Is it true that vnodes and inodes
are not at all related?

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math