Finding Large Files

George Turczynski george at hls0.hls.oz
Thu Oct 18 09:31:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct12.125125.15538 at kodak.kodak.com>, lrul00 at dixel.Kodak.COM (Richard C. Dempsey) writes:

> The following three lines are taken from the man page for find(1) on SunOS 4.1,
> and are the entire discussion about the size qualifier.  My interpretation is
> that the + syntax doesn't work on SunOS, at least.  I wouldn't care to generalize
> to other flavors of Unix...
>
>      -size n        True if the file is n blocks long (512  bytes
>                     per  block).   If  n  is followed by a c, the
>                     size is in characters.

This is not the `entire' discussion about the size qualifier !  In the first
paragraph after the "USAGE" sub-heading the manual reads:

	Operators
		 In the descriptions, the argument n is  used  as  a  decimal
		 integer  where  +n  means more than n, -n means less than n,
		 and n means exactly n.

Please, if you're going to quote manual entries, read them in their entirety
first.

Conclusion:	The +/- syntax DOES work on SunOS, at least.  Don't believe what
			someone has read until you read it for yourself :-)

--
George P. J. Turczynski,   Computer Systems Engineer. Highland Logic Pty Ltd.
ACSnet: george at highland.oz |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| Suite 1, 348-354 Argyle St