kill -9

Vadim G. Antonov avg at hq.demos.su
Wed Oct 17 21:16:01 AEST 1990

In article <14166 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <24788 at adm.BRL.MIL> frech at mwraaa.army.mil (Norman R. Frech CPLS) writes:
>>I had a process which attached itself to my tape drive and then locked up.
>>I couldn't kill it no matter what I tried.
>Sometimes, playing with the "hung" device (e.g., rewinding the tape, or
>turning off power to the controller) will cause an interrupt that may
>suffice to get the device driver unwedged.

	The simplier method to get an interrupt from the tape controller
	is to load tape, move in forward for some seconds, press REWIND
	and quickly switch drive ON-LINE. When it'd reach the physical
	marker it'll generate interrupt. This trick works as a rule.
	(Anyway the better solution is to hack up driver to make it
	to do timeout-s on operations ;-).

	Vadim Antonov
	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR