grep

Mark Perlman mperlman at Encore.COM
Wed Oct 24 08:29:50 AEST 1990

>>In article <1990Oct23.123025.18012 at kodak.kodak.com> tiefel at sunshine.Kodak.COM (Lenny Tiefel) writes:
>>

>>   I have a main directory with hundreds of subdirectories,
>>   and I want to find a file with a particular string, say "xyz"
>>   The grep command only works in one directory at a time. Is there
>>   a way of searching my whole directory structure to find a file
>>   with a particular string?
>>
>>   Thanks.

Here's a little script I use to search for strings.

#!/bin/csh -f
foreach i ( `find . -type d -print` )
	(cd $i;echo "<`pwd`>";grep $1 *[hc])
end

I created it specifically because I new I had subdirs and I
wasn't sure where the string was that I was looking for.  This
script assumed I was looking at source code, hence, "grep $1 *[hc]"
							     ^^^^^
You might also want to change the arglist ( $1 ) to ( $* ) to capture
any flags you may wish to invoke with grep.
--
                           Mark R. Perlman
Independent Consultant                          301-206-2016
14014 Oakpointe Dr.                             mperlman at encore.com
Laurel, MD  20707                               uunet!gould!mperlman