Help with shar needed!

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 9 05:54:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct8.181633.6838 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:
>	Hi.  I'm having some problems trying to run the shar program.  I have
>some files in a directory that I want to put in a shell archive, so I cd to the
>directory, then type "shar * > shar.file".  This produces a 5-minute wait, and
>then a "write failed, disk full" error, as shar keeps writing the same stuff
>over and over ad infinitum.  Anyone have any help for me?

I've seen this before. What apparently happens is that the shell creates the
output file before expanding the * into the arguments for shar. Shar goes
along and merrily stuff stuff into shar.file; when it gets to shar.file, it
starts reading from the beginning and writing to the end. You can avoid this
behavior from shar by doing "shar * > somewhere.else/file" - as in put the
file somewhere besides the current directory.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.