Stripping "hard returns" from UNIX mail files

Patrick Goebel patrick at casbs.Stanford.EDU
Wed Oct 24 06:56:06 AEST 1990

Dear UNIX gurus--

Given that I have saved a mail file, I'd like to download it and
reformat it in my favorite PC wordprocessor.  Problem is, saved mail
files end up with a "hard return" at the end of every line and this
prevents most PC wordprocessors from doing their reformatting thing.

It is relatively easy to write a macro within the PC wordprocessor to
"clean up" these unwanted hard returns, but I was wondering if there is
a UNIX utility that would do the job before the file is downloaded.

Thanks!

--patrick