HELP! lpr filter problems

Tom Moore tmoore at pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca
Thu Oct 18 22:59:50 AEST 1990

I am having problems setting up output print filters on a
sunos 4.1 machine.  I have changed the printcap file to
include the appropriate filters, (e.g. of, tf) but they
are not activated.  A sample line from my printcap is as
follows:

0|lp:lp=:sb:sh:rm=GatorBox04340:rp=ps_laser:\
tf=/home/pi19/local/bin/thack:

It seems that the problem might be that the printer is
on a remote machine.  My guess is that lpd passes the
original file off to the remote machine without filtering,
and passes a flag to indicate what filter should be applied.

My problem is that the remote machine isn't a unix box
running lpd.  It is a GatorBox that gateways between TCP/IP
and Appletalk protocols, therefor it cannot be set up to
run the unix filters I want to run.

Has anyone encountered this before?  I cant find any mention
of this in the man pages.  Does anyone know of a work-around to
force the use of the filters before the job is queued to the
other machine.

Thanks,
Tom Moore

Tom Moore                                       tmoore at pnfi.forestry.ca
Petawawa National Forestry Institute            uunet!attcan!ists!pi19!tmoore
Forestry Canada, Box 2000, Chalk River          +1 (613) 589-2880
CANADA K0J 1J0                                  +1 (613) 589-2275 telefax