.screenrc bindings

Craig MacDonald craig at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Oct 20 08:49:18 AEST 1990

I have just been introduced to a utility to create multiple logical
screens on my xt100+ called screen (version SGI 4D series ansi 2.0a).
I have been attempting to customize this by creating a .screenrc
file.  Can anyone show me how to bind a character to a combination
of this type:-

bind ^<char> < Screen utility > | < shell script file >
for instance
bind ^<char> < make hardcopy of screen n contents > | lpr

bind ^<char> < shell script file >  - | takes as input the
				      | current window number
				      | as an argument.

I am not sure if this is possible without modifying the source.  If
anyone has used this utility extensively I would be interested in
the limitations of bind.

I have also tried to toggle between 80/132 columns and had problems.
The screen bind 'C-a W' doesn't alter my terminal, so that I must
toggle physical terminal settings as well.  The latter could be done
by echoing cntl characters to the terminal.

Craig Mac Donald

craig at na.toronto.edu