Need a list of in-use higher socket numbers

Bill White bwhite at oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
Mon Oct 8 15:38:31 AEST 1990

	As part of a project, I need to choose a socket number for a
program I'm working on.  So, what I'd like to find out is which sockets
are already in use generally.  I know about everything in /etc/services,
obviously; what I *would* like to know is about popular programs that
are out there.  For example, I know IRC often runs on 6667; MUD runs on
6715 on at least one site; etc.  Is there a convention for picking an
internet socket that will be accepting external connections, or do I
have to worry about this?  I'd like to pick something that probably
isn't in use and isn't going to be picked for something else.
	So if you know of some in-use sockets in the higher ranges,
and/or you have a suggestion for "location", please mail me.  My mail
address (in case my .signature doesn't get stuck in) is:

		bwhite at oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite at oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	ETORRE'S OBSERVATION:						|
|		The other line moves faster.				|