Can anyone show me a simpler way:

John Dilley jad at hpcndnm.cnd.hp.com
Tue Oct 16 06:40:39 AEST 1990

In article <40852 at eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cloos at acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) writes:

>If anyone can show me a simpler way to do this (the simplest?) I'd be
>very appreciative:

>uncompress `du -a . | egrep .Z | awk '{print $2}' -`

	This is probably the simplest and fastest (and safest):

$ find . -type f -name '*.Z' -print | xargs uncompress

or, if you don't have many files, this will work:

$ uncompress `find . -type f -name '*.Z' -print`

Note that your original scheme would have tried to uncompress a
directory named foo.Z -- given, that's not likely and would not have
been tragic.  I'm just in the habit of writing production code ;-)

	You could have also reduced your pipeline using this:

$ uncompress `ls -R | fgrep .Z`

The most important thing, IMHO, is losing the awk -- you pay a high
overhead for not doing much with it.  Also, if you've got a system on
which egrep is faster than fgrep (ugh), don't use fgrep, as shown above.
My fgrep is actually aliased to the Boyer-Moore fast grep (a.k.a. bm).
Good luck to you in your massive uncompression ;-)

                          --      jad      --
			      John Dilley
			    Hewlett-Packard
                       Colorado Networks Division
UX-mail:      		     jad at cnd.hp.com
Phone:                       (303) 229-2787
--
This is not an official statement from Hewlett-Packard Corp., and does not
necessarily reflect the official position of HP.  The information above is