example of general name space usage

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Oct 10 01:57:57 AEST 1990

In article <4932:Oct902:45:5390 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>So what? It would be just as easy if /proc were in a separate namespace,
>and had a program other than cat to open process files.

My point was that no process-specific applications were required.
The shell (/bin/rc) performs the globbing to find out what exists
in the specified subspace, and passes the list to "cat" which
copies the contents of each object in sequence to the standard
output.  This is an example of using standard tools in novel ways,
which is the main reason that UNIX is as useful as it is.  There
is great power in universality.