Unisys -> Sun

Erik Sean Nolte erik at unislc.uucp
Thu Oct 11 03:41:47 AEST 1990

In article <2255 at krafla.rhi.hi.is> kristinn at rhi.hi.is (Kristinn Eiriksson) writes:
>I have some data on a Unisys (5000/6000?) and need to get it over to a
>Sun SPARC machine.  The only way is to use a cartridge tape (60Mb).
>I have tried cpio (with some switches I can't remeber anymore) and tar cvf,
>but the Sun machine can't read what the Unisys machine wrote!

What U series machine are you using?  Tapes written on U5000/30-55 (NCR)
are incompatible with tapes written on U6000 and presumably Sun machines.
To fix this problem try swapping the bytes as you read the tape into the
U6000/Sun (ex dd if=<tape device> of=/tmp/myfile conv=swab).

My response would be more complete if I knew what the machines were and
exactly what commands you tried.