Preventing Idle in telnet, security, and bg.

John E. Davis davis at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue Oct 2 08:46:23 AEST 1990

   |The simplest thing to do is:
   |Assuming you have a line like 'progname &' in your .login,
   |put something like 'kill -9 %progname' in your .logout .
   |What else?

   | -- Brian

Actually, it is not this simple.  The program is meant to be run on only those
terminals which have a status line. So I would have to put 'if' statements in
the .logout and it would start to get ugly and not very elegent.

I finally used 'fork' to startup a child process which then looks for the
presence of its parent and then exits if the parent is gone. This idea was
originally suggested to me by adb at cs.bu.edu (Adam Bryant).
--
John

  bitnet: davis at ohstpy