Workstation to PC via serial port?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Oct 24 12:34:27 AEST 1990

  First solution: the x/y/zmodem protocols are supported by a package
which is often called szrz.tar.Z on archives. You can redirect by
	sz </dev/tty01 >&0
or some similar thing. Kermit is widely available, and the new windowing
version is about 95% the speed of zmodem (although there are other
advantages to zmodem).

Second solution (calling in from PC):
  You have to enable the tty port for login, and I don't have any Ultrix
manuals here, so here's stab from memory. It may be the first character
in /etc/ttys which does this, or /etc/ttytab. There may be enable and
disable commands. Might even be in gettydefs. This cuts you down to 3-4
manual pages to read to get the details. It's also in the uucp section
of the manuals I believe, I think that's where I saw it while looking
for something else.

  If you call in from PC and don't have a terminal program, try Kermit.
It's free, has good VT100 emulation (and others), and you can get it
lots of places.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX