UID ownership of cooperating tty

Michael GALLOP mikey at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 3 02:07:08 AEST 1990

In article <154 at rhlab.UUCP>, kuhn at rhlab.UUCP (Mike Kuhn) writes:

> I need to know the best/safest/only way to assign ownership of a
> cooperating tty to UID of the users login terminal. I basically feel that
> the solution I have (using the SUID and root) seems inappropriate for a
> SIMPLE application.

I would be interested to know what kind of system you are on.

>From my experience both the SUN4 (running SunOS 4.0.3 and 4.1) and the DG AViiON
running DG/UX automatically change the owner of the /dev/tty entry to the UID
on login. Otherwise mesg would have to be setuid, in order to make the terminal
non-writeable. Then each editor would have to call it in order to lock the
terminal to prevent writes (As VI does....) to screen.

--
| mikey at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca |  Mike Gallop     				   |
|"Stealing from one author is plagarism....Stealing from many is research" |