MACH kernel - source become pd?

The Grey Wolf greywolf at unisoft.UUCP
Wed Oct 24 09:20:35 AEST 1990

In article <1369 at mtxinu.UUCP> shore at mtxinu.com (Melinda Shore) writes:
>In article <26980 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>>(Things look good; CMU already gives away Mach
>>for free.  The problem is that you must first show your AT&T source
>>license.)
>
>And NFS and others.  AFS pulls out pretty easily if you don't want
>it or can't get a license, but the ufs filesystem is Sun vnode-based
>and (alas) doesn't come out as cleanly.  Drivers, math libraries,
>debuggers, etc. are also usually under somebody or other's license
>(different companies hold licenses for different platforms -
>representative companies include Sun, DEC, IBM, Prime).

I keep seeing references to the ufs; who technically owns the concepts
behind the original Berkeley FFS?  And couldn't some other schmo just as
easily come up with a scheme for a "Virtual File System" that wouldn't
infringe upon Sun's vnode filesystem?

I know the original ufs (read: System V file system) is AT&T property,
but why anyone would want to be stuck with 14-byte filenames and u_short
inode numbers is beyond me.

--
"This is *not* going to work!"
				"Well, why didn't you say so before?"