redisplay screen after editor exits

Paul John Falstad pfalstad at bathe.Princeton.EDU
Thu Oct 11 00:28:14 AEST 1990

In article <14887 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU (BURNS) writes:
>in article <QYV%WC#@rpi.edu>, fitz at mml0.meche.rpi.edu (Brian Fitzgerald) says:
>} It seems that before some full screen display programs like
>} vi, less, top, etc. exit, they print the "termcap end"
>} escape sequence. The command tool in SunView seems to
>} recognize this and redraw the original screen, which shows
>} the previous interactive session. Is there a way to do this while
>} running screen or some other program that runs on an ascii terminal?
>Actually, I find that "feature" rather annoying.

So do I, especially when less (the more replacement) clears the screen
when I'm trying to read a file after exiting.  In case anyone is
interested, I'm posting this shell script that I use as a front end for
less.  Feel free to flame if there's an easier way.

#! /bin/sh
# a front end for less that does not make xterm swap screens
tt=$TERM
TERMCAP="zterm:ti=:te=:tc=$tt:" TERM=zterm /usr/local/bin/less "$@"

--
     Are you nervy?  Irritable?  Depressed?  Tired of life?  Keep it up!