how do i get sources of unix stuff.?

David Elliott dce at smsc.sony.com
Fri Oct 12 14:39:29 AEST 1990

In article <1101 at lsicom2.UU.NET> root at lsicom2.UU.NET (Admin) writes:
>gwoho at nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>
>>i want sources for some unix stuff. where can i get some?
>>in particular, i want the source of vi and login.
>>i also want the source for metafont,tex.
>>also, i want gcc, gas.
>
>The source code is owned by and available from AT&T

While this is true, that's not what he's asking.

Sure, the "real" vi and login are owned by AT&T, but most of
the other stuff (tex,gcc,gas) is freely-available via anonymous
ftp (for caltech, the closest archive is probably gatekeeper.dec.com).

A quick check shows 4 vi clones, the BSD version of login, lots
of text stuff, gcc, and gas all available.  I couldn't find metafont.