Preventing Idle in telnet

Robert E. Huebner huebner at aerospace.aero.org
Wed Sep 12 03:19:48 AEST 1990

Looking for advice on how to solve the following problem in UNIX:

I need to find a way to alter telnet so that it will automatically
send characters periodically if the user is idle.  The specific case
is one where I am using telnet on a Sun to connect to a remote Multics.
The Multics has a "feature" which automatically logs me out if idle
time exceeds 30 minutes, even if processes are running.  Is there some
way to have telnet type a ^G sequence or something whenever idle time
exceeds 25 minutes?  Or is there a more elegant solution to this
problem.  I have no Multics experience, so I'd like to make the fix from
the Sun/telnet end of things.

Thank you for your time,
+----
Robert E. Huebner	huebner at aerospace.aero.org	Sometimes you win,
			The Aerospace Corporation	Sometimes you lose,
			Computer Security Office	Sometime it rains.
+----