Preventing Idle in telnet

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 30 12:16:12 AEST 1990

In article <24593 at adm.BRL.MIL> aeba-im-o-e2 at berlin-emh1.army.mil ( Kendrick Gibson) writes:
>Should an idle keyboard be reason to automatically log a user out?

Definitely not!  Just because a person is not interacting at the moment
does NOT mean that he does not need the connection maintained.  There
are dozens of possible scenarios; I'll leave them as an exercise.

>Is there a better way for the Sys Ad to determine whether a user
>is really idle?

Yes -- go take a look at the user, and if he has stopped breathing,
you may safely assume he's idle.

Seriously, you seem to imply that there is some sort of "problem"
that needs to be solved.  Just what IS the problem?