Recurring problem in root filesystem

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Wed Sep 5 03:50:54 AEST 1990

In article <4010 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Try running fsck on the *unmounted* root filesystem,
>
>Try unmounting the root filesystem first.  Good luck....

What do you mean, good luck??  I've run fsck on the unmounted hard disk
root filesystem on my system here, just boot with your disaster disk
and away you go ;^).  It's not impossible.  Besides, the point I was making
was that the message he was getting was *probably* due to his running
fsck on the mounted root file system.  The wrong inode count will always
occur because of the scratch file fsck creates.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art