screen program information

BURNS,JIM gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Sep 21 20:15:04 AEST 1990

in article <13861:Sep2105:07:0790 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) says:
> I said flush, not eliminate. Say you accidentally cat /etc/termcap
> without a pager running. Say there's about 50K of buffering between you
> and the nearest communications mechanism that knows how to flush output.
> Are you going to wait for that 50K to drain?

Well, in this case, I *would* kill it & restart it w/ a pager, & use '/'
to search forward to where I was, but I get the idea in general.

(1)
> Under pty, you just sess -T reconnect p5 > /dev/null, or perhaps pipe it
> through more, or perhaps save it in a file for later perusal. Then you
> type ^C and reconnect normally, without harming any other background
> processes or stopped jobs in the session. How can you do this under
> screen?

(2)
> You write your amazing macro program. You want to have it handle both
> the input and output of screen. How do you do this?

I gather *both* of these examples are refering to something like "...|
sess|...", ala your answer in c.u.internals about a Spy program. In that
case, I misunderstood your comment about "bring[ing] a screen session back
into the middle of a pipe". I thought you were talking about existing
pipelines *inside* the session, which screen does handle. Yes, 'screen'
itself does not talk to stdin/out, so can't be piped.

Thanx again for your reply.
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu