Unix software and USSR

Jan Christiaan van Winkel jc at atcmp.nl
Thu Sep 27 23:04:07 AEST 1990

> said -'Oh, you wan't to help us to retrieve the tapes?'. Apart from that there
> are many many DES implementations not written in the US, and therefore not
> restricted. Check out the one which was distributed in comp.sources.something,
> it was carefully set up not to pass the US, which is illegal, but sent both
> from Australia and Finland I think. Such rubbish.

And don't forget the implementation (in PASCAL) of DES in Andrew S. Tanenbaum's
book 'Computer Networks'!

Would it be allowed to bring a copy of it into the States and then back out
again? I don't think so. Everyone seems to have it, but it is not allowed
to transport it via the USA.

I wonder - how much paperwork is done in vain for this silly DES rule?
--