Preventing Idle in telnet, security, and bg.

JIM BURNS gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Sep 28 23:28:12 AEST 1990

in article <DAVIS.90Sep28015809 at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>, davis at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") says:

>    However, sometimes I forget to kill it before I logout.  I was wondering
> what is the best way to put it into the background so that when I logout, it
> dies?  I wrote the program in c, if this helps.

Seems to me that progs backgrounded w/ a plain '&' would be killed
automatically when you logout. It's 'nohup'-ed procs that survive.

> executable file called 'ls'.  Here it is:
  [...]
> What happens, is if someone steps into this directory and types 'ls' this
> thing takes his picture.  In principle, he could add a few more lines to copy

Not very useful unless the intruder has '.' in his $PATH, and useless if
he 'ls's that directory from another.
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu