uugetty & lock files

Mike Verstegen mdv at comtst.UUCP
Wed Sep 12 23:28:06 AEST 1990

In article <9422 at uudell.dell.com> rjd at ninja.dell.com writes:
[ stuff deleted...]

>   Yeah, easy....  First make sure the uugetty timeout is enabled, then, in
>your progam, simply get the process ID number FROM the lockfile and check to
>see if the process exists.  If the process does not exist, then remove the
>lockfile, since it is invalid.
>
>An easy way to do this is
>
>if ps -p `cat -s $LCKFILE` > /dev/null
>then
>  : # don't remove lockfile
> else
>  rm $LCKFILE
>fi

On our system, /usr/spool/locks is owned by uucp, group uucp,
with drwxr-xr-x permissions. (As best I can tell, this is standard for
AT&T 3B2 V.3.1 and ISC 2.0.2) To me, it appears that this script will
only work for scripts run as uucp or the permissions on /usr/spool/locks
have been changed.

We have a software application that needs direct access to modems and does
not use cu or uucp. We tried dial(3), but it's broken (still makes reference
to L.sys for a HDB uucp environment -- AT&T Hotline says it's not going to
be fixed). Our solution was to write a small program that is suid to uucp
and does nothing but create (with the correct format) and remove lock files.
We had to take this approach because our original solution (chmod o+w
/usr/spool/locks raised the ire of some administrators).

I'd like to know what the permissions are on other systems (both the
installation permssions and what most administrators change them to) and if
anyone else has a better solution to the problem.

[ shell script deleted ]

--
Mike Verstegen          Domain Systems, Inc           Voice +1 407 686-7911
..!uunet!comtst!mdv     5840 Corporate Way #100       Fax   +1 407 478-2542