**** make file in another dir -- help !! ****

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Sat Sep 1 04:39:37 AEST 1990

In article <NIETERS.90Aug31132201 at copernicus.crd.ge.com>, nieters at copernicus (coolbean) writes:
[example using templates deleted]
| We run this using Sun's make but I don't think there is anything particularly
| exotic to this example that won't work on "normal" make.

Normal least-common-denominator V7 Make had nothing of the sort (just
default extensions).  Your solution is therefore most unportable, but
if it works, it works great.  (Sys V Make has that too, I think, but
Sys V is not Unix.  Sigh.)

Luckily, GNU Make has similar facilities, so there is a way to
implement your solution for just a little effort and time on nearly
any box.

Just another old-time Unix hacker,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |