Unix software and USSR

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Sep 29 18:02:28 AEST 1990

avg at hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) in <1990Sep26.124217.918 at hq.demos.su>
posted a short program using "crypt()" and claimed:

	``The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-) ''

Those of us running the program on USA-based UNIX systems receive instead the
different results:

	``XX0/imINzSUs''

Doesn't anyone get it, and the reason for Vadim's smiley faces?

Look at the USA-results again, this time with spacing added:

	XX0/  im  IN  z  SU   s

I interpret that to read:

	XX0/    "love and kisses"  (using "0" for "O" as in Biff's C0WABUNGA)
	im	I'm
	IN	in
	z	"the"
	SU	Soviet Union

Pretty clever if you ask me!

I suppose Vadim's postings bring new meaning to the joke with which I often
open UNIX meetings:  ``MS-DOS-vadanya''   :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]