Source Code For Berkeley Mail?

John G. DeArmond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Sat Sep 22 14:43:15 AEST 1990

rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>	1.  Are you asking us to tell you how to bypass security and
>	    do an and run around the system manager?  No way.  Asking
>	    is ethically questionable.

There's always one of these on the net, isn't there?  A cop wannabe. *sigh*

>In article <1990Sep21.171510.3817 at portia.Stanford.EDU> usa at portia.Stanford.EDU (Nan Wu) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend who cannot send mails because the system
>manager doesn't want people to read messages and thus has disabled the
>Berkeley "mail" program.  However, the sendmail daemon is still running.
>His question is:  can he get the source code for the "mail" program so
>that he can at least send out messages through sendmail daemon?  The
>machine he is on is a Dec-station 3100 running Ultrix.  He'll appreciate
>any pointers.  Please e-mail to this account.  Thanks!

I'll give you a straight answer because not only do I realize that
security by obscurity is no security at all but also because I realize
that many sysadms are not in the chain of command and end up being pricks
just to show that  they can.

I looked through my archives and found at least half a dozen mail agents.
>From BSD, there is ucb mail and the sendmail daemon.  Then there are
ELM, MUSH, and ACS among others. These are available from UUNET and/or
the BSD distribution.  If you or your friend looks on UUNET, prowl
around ~ftp/bsd-sources/src/Mail or thereabouts.  If all else fails,
contact me by email and we can arrange a media exchange.

John
--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply