Restarting a process after a shutdown

Chris Preston cbp at icc.com
Thu Sep 20 11:33:53 AEST 1990

In article <933 at hls0.hls.oz> george at hls0.hls.oz (George Turczynski) writes:
>In article <1990Sep3.105523.8220 at hq.demos.su>, avg at hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>> In article <5759 at ethz.UUCP> tilo at tilo@nmr.lpc.ethz.ch (Tilo Levante) writes:
>> >Is there a way to save the status of a process and restart it
>> >after the shutdown?
>>
>> 	Of course, Unix allows you to do such things.
>> 	You can do it as follows:
>>
>> 	Write a signal handler for SIGKILL:
>
>	... Interesting rest of solution deleted ...
>
>This solution fails at step number one, as SIGKILL
>cannot be caught (or ignored).  This is fundamental.

   Ahhh, but zey haf veys ...

>> 	Lucky Hacking!
>
>This would be one HELL of a hack :-)
>
>> 	(It is NOT a joke!)
>
>Was this posted on April 1 ?

  One wonders if perhaps the Capatilists have simply been giving in to
  SIGKILL out of weakness, while the Soviets had no such moral restraint :-)

  "Puny Amerikans, you let yourselves be used by the evil SIGKILL, while
  we have crushed it utterly!"

cbp
---
Disclaimer - This is definitely a joke or not, for any humor intended or
otherwise, unless it isn't, intended to be unoffensive, unless of course
it is, in which case it should not be and is withdrawn, or not.

Kurt Waldheim to Saddam Hussein:
"Saddam, I knew Hitler, and believe me, you're no Adolf Hitler."