How to prevent VI from getting a shell?

Jim Webb jrw at mtune.ATT.COM
Tue Sep 18 01:20:55 AEST 1990

In article <570 at DIALix.UUCP>, bernie at DIALix.UUCP (Bernd Felsche) writes:
> In article <501 at trux.UUCP> car at trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
> >If I want to give someone access to VI and yet deny them access to a shell,
> >how do I prevent the user from using VI's "<ESC>:!" command?
>
> set SHELL in the environment to something which doest nothing, say
> /bin/true.  vi forks-execs whatever SHELL is defined to be, or the
> shell if undefined.

True, but.....

	$ SHELL=/bin/true ex	# ex is easier to deal with here :-)
	:sh			# run a shell....
	!			# comes right back
	:set shell=/bin/sh	# hmmm....
	:sh			# now what can I do....
	$

Later,

--
Jim Webb                "Out of Phase -- Get Help"               att!mtune!jrw
                  "I'm bored with this....Let's Dance!"