Unix software and USSR

Daan Sandee sandee at sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Wed Sep 26 22:32:34 AEST 1990

In article <4113 at altos86.Altos.COM> steve at Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>                                       ..... Tell me, do I just not understand
>the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
>the USSR? I suppose you also have source to the DES encryption algorithm?
>We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
>so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source! Enlighten me.
>--
>Steve Scherf
>steve at Altos.COM    ...!{sun|sco|pyramid|amdahl|uunet}!altos!steve

You are a little confused. U.S. Dept of Commerce regulations forbid the
export of the DES encryption algorithm (source, binary, or on paper) outside
of the U.S. or Canada. There is no reason to restrict Unix source code.
I don't know why you should conclude from Dmitri's posting that he has any
source at all, anyway.
Unix vendors make up a slightly different release version for international
shipment, using different encryption code.
[Discussions on the sanity of the regulations please to talk.politics.misc].

Daan Sandee                                           sandee at sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045