Preventing idle in telnet

Dorothy Dot ken at CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU
Tue Sep 25 20:34:41 AEST 1990

In article <85234 at aerospace.AERO.ORG>, huebner at aerospace.aero.org (Robert E. Hue
bner) writes:
> Looking for advice on how to solve the following problem in UNIX:
>
> I need to find a way to alter telnet so that it will automatically
> send characters periodically if the user is idle.  The specific case
> is one where I am using telnet on a Sun to connect to a remote Multics.
> The Multics has a "feature" which automatically logs me out if idle
> time exceeds 30 minutes, even if processes are running.  Is there some
> way to have telnet type a ^G sequence or something whenever idle time
> exceeds 25 minutes?  Or is there a more elegant solution to this

	I had this problem  downloading huge K files.
I explained my problem to the SysAd and he added my account
to a list of users who need more than 30 minutes idle time.  I
have had no trouble since.  I have downloaded Kermit files that
take well over an hour or two with no blankety-blank automatic
logouts.  Of course, our SysAd is one hell of a nice guy.

                                                          Dorothy
ken at csufres.csufresno.edu