assertions and debuggers

Robert Lupton the Good rhl at grendel.Princeton.EDU
Sun Sep 23 04:00:54 AEST 1990

(I haven't used VMS for about 3 years, but this used to be true anyway...)

Perhaps the real point of this discussion has got lost. Under VMS you
don't do post-mortem debugging as there is no "core" file -- you get
straight into the debugger if you compiled and linked with it. You have
to make sure that you say run/nodebug or you'll satrt in the debugger,
and I'm not sure if this can be done with foreign commands.

Under unix you call abort() (or whatever) and get a coredump; then you
start up the debugger and see where you were.

The functionality is similar (except that you can't attempt to clean up
and continue).

				Robert